What is copyright infringement?
- Using someone else’s original work without obtaining the copyright owner’s permission
- Copyright does NOT prohibit use of
- Most federal government records
- Some state and local government records
- What does this mean? Images produced by federal government employees cannot be copyrighted and can be used in any context in a student newspaper or yearbook without first having to obtain permission. But they should still be properly cited!
- For more information:
- *Attribution Guide – to be created over the summer*
See More Legal Issue FAQ’s